Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fall in the Sawtooth - Learning to Kayak


My Birthday is around the corner - and this is my present to me. An Inflatable Kayak which packs down to 50 pounds (3ft. x 2ft. x 1ft.) The Kayak I ordered is a tandem (2 places - convertible to 1) It is 11 feet long and 3 feet wide. Thwarts (round back rests) are movable and can be configured for one or two. The Vanguard is a commercial Kayak usually purchased by outfitters. When I saw her a few days ago, I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. I had to have her....she had no choice!

The paddlers in the above pictures are the promo pictures of the company. Below this post are pictures of me in my first experience.

In ordering, paddles, life jackets, etc. I ordered Tatina her own life jacket. I should be getting this Kayak in mid- September and will move up to a lake near Stanley to learn with some ease of thought before I go to the Salmon River for a big work out - two weeks later or so. - There should be some snow days in Stanley ( 44.21N -114.95W (Elev. 6396 ft) I hope to be camping on the lake at Redfish Lake - a very popular place with very few campsites. My 2nd choices are Altrius Lake. Pettit Lake, Stanley Lake. They all are near each other and have small camp grounds. Motor Boats seem to be a problem at the lakes - but for learning kayaking, using other boat wakes will be a good tool.

Redfish Lake Idaho
http://www.redfishlake.com/images/photo%20gallery/beach%20chairs.jpg
http://www.redfishlake.com/images/photo%20gallery/lake%202.jpg




I also purchased - for use with the Kayak and my bicycle, a Suunto Watch T3c - heart rate monitor - bicycle wireless speedometer/distance/calories and efficient training rates with vital statistics programmed into the Watch - for the perfect combination of exercise at the training rate for my age, activity level, height and weight.

Suunto T3c Cycling Pack (T3c Heart Rate Monitor and Road Bike POD)

No comments: